Our expert Construction & Engineering team provide a comprehensive service dealing with all aspects of construction and engineering law.
Our team acts for a wide range of public and private sector clients, including professional consultants such as architects and engineers, contractors, developers, house builders, sub-contractors, owner occupiers and local authorities, which gives us an in-depth understanding of the construction industry and client needs.
Partner, Gary Ashton, has considerable experience of advising on high value and complex contentious construction and engineering disputes including professional indemnity claims.
Our specialist team provides high quality, commercial advice and pragmatic solutions covering every aspect of the construction industry from procurement through to completion, which includes resolving any disputes that may arise throughout, or following completion of the project.
We work hard to understand your aims and deliver the desired results with partner input throughout, whilst offering a highly competitive pricing structure and other innovative fee solutions.
Dispute Resolution Services
We act for claimants and defendants in resolving construction disputes. Our aim is to achieve our client’s objectives in the most timely, commercial and cost-effective way. The services we undertake include:
- Adjudication: Construction adjudication is the most common form of resolving construction & engineering disputes. We are specialists in this particular area and provide a full service for either the referring party in bringing a claim or acting for the responding party in defence. We have considerable experience in adjudication and a proven track record for achieving successful results.
- Adjudication Enforcement: Where a party refuses to abide by an adjudicator’s decision, it may be necessary to enforce the decision via the High Court. We have extensive experience of adjudication enforcement and have successfully enforced several decisions in the Technology & Construction Court.
- Mediation: We regularly resolve construction disputes including professional negligence claims through mediation. We can ensure that your case is properly prepared and presented and you are represented throughout the mediation process to achieve your desired outcome.
- Litigation in the Courts: We have significant experience of litigation at all levels of the civil courts, particularly the Technology and Construction Court division. We have successfully acted for claimants and defendants in resolving high value, complex and, on occasion, multi-party disputes.
- Retention recovery service: We provide a fixed cost retention recovery service to contractors and sub-contractors to recover unpaid retentions.
- Project Management: We carry out project reviews to identify issues at an early stage to minimise risk and protect the client’s position. We regularly provide advice and assistance in administering live projects.
Procurement & Contract Services
We provide clear commercial and straight-forward, practical advice in relation to construction project documentation.
Our non-contentious services include:
- Contracts: Drafting and advising upon the major standard forms of contract, such as JCT and NEC, as well as bespoke contracts.
- Terms and conditions: We regularly prepare bespoke standard terms and conditions to suit the client’s needs.
- Letters of intent: We draft, negotiate and can advise upon letters of intent to ensure the client’s position is fully protected pending completion of formal contracts.
- Professional appointments for construction consultants such as architects, engineers and quantity surveyors.
- Collateral warranties and novation agreements: Drafting and advising upon third party warranties and novation agreements.
- Vesting certificates: We draft, negotiate and advise upon vesting certificates for employers, contractors and sub-contractors to protect against insolvency.
- Training: We are also able to offer in-house training and seminars on practical issues arising out of construction law which can be tailored to suit the needs of the client’s business.
We'd love to hear from you. Please call Gary Ashton on 0113 849 4018.
“The team has an abundance of technical knowledge and provide specific advice relevant to each case” Client
“The lawyers are extremely approachable whilst remaining professional at all times” Client
“They are a team of proficient lawyers, very quick – some lawyers take forever!” Client